It continues to amaze me how quickly time flies in the second half of our lives as recollection of events are in decades not just years, and how slowly it goes on the front half of life as things like – obtaining a driver’s license, being old enough to… (date, drink, vote, ?), waiting to hear which college we are accepted to just can’t come quick enough.
As I help professionals either navigate internal career decisions or navigate the job market the themes around time are resounding. Regardless of what stage people are at in their careers, time is certainly a factor. So I’ve captured some them here for you today:
“Time flies” – here are some common quotes, thoughts or sentiments.
- “I can’t believe how long I’ve stayed in this unfulfilling job”
- For people in transition ” I can’t believe how the day flies by and I get nothing accomplished”
- “I’ve already been off of work for a month and am just starting to think about my job search. Where has the time gone?”
- “I’m already 55 years old and am just now asking what I want to be when I grow up?”
“It takes such a long time” – sentiments, quotes and thoughts.
- “I never thought I’d be job searching this long, I thought I’d find something in a month.”
- ” I worked on my resume for days and it still isn’t done!”
- “I sent an email to a networking contact yesterday and still haven’t heard back.”
- ” Is it possible to figure out my passion in 3 hours or less?”
Whether time is racing or inching by it seems to consistently be a source of frustration and angst for people. The advise I can offer is to stay focused on the amount of effort you put in each day to move towards your goals and let time do what it will.