There is nothing more unsettling to a workforce then rumors of lay offs. It is not uncommon that as we approach year end, companies need to consider downsizing if the year hasn’t gone as well as planned or in preparation for changes in the upcoming year. So what can an employee do? Many will say it’s time to lay low and stay out of the cross fire which doesn’t guarantee self preservation.
There are a couple of ways to cope while the rumor mill revs up.
1. react to facts not rumors or speculation
2. resist the temptation to commiserate with coworkers – it only feeds fear
3. focus on “what is” not “what if”
4. make sure you are doing your job and doing it well
5. make sure your resume is up to date
6. keep your options open
The key to surviving these unsettled times is not to become complacent and take a wait and see approach. Be proactive and prepare for various scenarios, so when the final word comes you are well positioned for whatever’s next.