We are all creatures of habit. We will tend to revert to what is familiar even though we know it isnt what is best for us. There is comfort in familiar and it doesnt require the same amount of courage as venturing out into something new.
In the world of job search it is amazing how many times I see people look for the same job they just left and mostly hated. There are key strategies to break that pattern.
- recognize reasons why you are drawn back to the same old thing
- is it familiar?
- are you good at it?
- have you received years of feedback and encouragement for doing that job?
- it is comfortable?
- you dont have to learn anything new .
- sort out all the things in your old job you can do
- sort by activities and job duties
- sort by skills and requirements
- narrow down the list to the things you want to continue to do in your next job.
- add to the list by thinking of the times when you were most engaged, when time flew by, or when you felt most energized.
- find peace in letting go of the things you no longer want to do and know that it is ok to move on from doing those things.
- evaluate other interest areas in your life for additional clues.
- stay true to yourself in job search = only apply for jobs that include the things you like doing and want to do.
For years people will find themselves returning to jobs that are dissatisfying. Going through this process allows people to break the pattern of same old same old and brace themselves for a much more fulfilling job. It all starts with tapping into their inner strength for the confidence and courage to see the possibilities.