I have been in this business long enough to see patterns and trends. One pattern that has held true is that our phone rings off the hook as soon as we turn the calendar into a new year. The hottest topics for New Year’s resolutions are in the areas of health/fitness/diet, finances and of course careers. This is the perfect time of year to get things back on track. Here are the most popular career resolutions.
1. Update my resume. For years we just throw our recent job, title, employer and dates on a work history document and call it a resume. Now is the perfect time to make sure your resume is not only current with information but is created in a fashion that is competitive in today’s job market.
2. Network. This is something that typically hits the resolution list every year, but is the first thing to slide through the cracks when we get busy. Cultivating and maintaining a professional network is a necessity in today’s environment. We often work with people in developing and mapping out a year long networking plan that get’s tied right into the calendar.
3. Create a LinkedIn profile. In this new age of social media it is important for professionals to have a positive internet presence. We help professionals create profiles that complement their resumes and coach them on how to best ulilize it to keep their network engaged.
4. Make strides to get out of the job I hate. It amazes me how long people stay in toxic jobs. People have lost the hope for something better. Cultivating Careers helps give people information about options and a plan and tools to move forward.
5. Do more professional development. This is also something that falls through the cracks when we get busy. It is not uncommon for people to come to us to help sort through various professional development options so that it is the best use of their time and money and ultimately helps their career.
6. Identify my dream job. Isn’t it all our hope to be happy, to wake up everyday energized and excited about what the day has in store? Dream jobs are when our skills, values and interests align in a role that gives us the lifestyle we hope for. Dare to dream that it is possible, let us help by facilitating a process that helps you realize it.
Well intended resolutions fall short without a plan and support. Pick up the phone and let Cultivating Careers help with the plan and support.
Happy New Year